A 22-km section of Algeria North-South Highway built by a Chinese firm opened to traffic on April 19.
Built by China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC), the stretch is part of a 53-km highway that links Chiffa to Berrouaghia, both in northern Algeria.
Algeria's transport minister says the two-way six-lane highway is expected to be completed early next year. It is considered as the most challenging part of the North-South Highway, which is dubbed as Algeria's traffic artery. The section includes six tunnels and dozens of viaducts.
The North-South Highway is some 3,000km long, running from the Mediterranean Sea to the hinterland of the Sahara. It's considered as a vital project for Algeria's economic development.
- Construction of new Algiers Airport by Chinese company to b... 2018-08-13
- Serbia, Montenegro eye improved highway, railway connection... 2018-07-24
- Six Main Towers of Pingtan Strait Cross-Sea Highway and Rai... 2018-06-04
- 1st section of CPEC's largest superhighway inaugurated in P... 2018-05-28
- Chinese-built section of Algeria North-South Highway opens ... 2018-04-25