A huge container ship named CMA CGM Congo arrived at Lebanese port of Tripoli on Tuesday to open a new shipping line between China and the port.
"The vessel is the first to hold 10,000 containers. It will unload 1000 containers in Tripoli port for the local market, and the rest will go to other ports in the region," said Ahmad Tamer, manager of Tripoli port.
Tamer said that this new line, Beks, is characterized by its capacity to host big-size cargo vessels that can reach 50 meters in width and 300 meters in length.
Beks will contribute to doubling the volume of products coming from China to the port, said Tamer.
Tamer added that the remarkable improvement of the port resulted from Lebanon's efforts and the Chinese contribution to supporting the port's development plan.
Tripoli is located on the Mediterranean coast, about 80 kilometers from the Lebanese capital Beirut, and about 30 kilometers from the Syrian-Lebanese border.
China Harbor Engineering Company has worked on rehabilitating Tripoli's port since 2012 for it to be ready to receive all big vessels.
Tripoli port has expanded its terminal to receive the largest types of vessels in addition to creating a terminal to receive Chinese cranes capable of lifting and transporting more than 700 containers a day.
Attention is turning to this port nowadays for the role that it can play in the reconstruction of Syria which has been torn by a seven-year civil war.
- Chinese Sichuan Airlines operates its 1st flight to Cairo 2018-10-24
- New shipping line opens between China, Lebanon's Tripoli po... 2018-10-10
- Sri Lanka's Hambantota Port signs agreement with K-Line PTE... 2018-09-20
- Chinese company completes transmission lines project in Lao... 2018-09-17
- Himalaya Airlines expanding routes with Belt and Road 2018-09-05