China State Construction Engineering Corp (CSCEC) said that it is extremely "shocked" by the recent "groundless allegations" made public through media against the Sukkur-Multan Motorway project in Pakistan in which it had participated.
The company's clarification came after several Pakistani government officials were accused of misappropriating funds worth up to Rs70 billion ($500 million) in the Sukkur-Multan Motorway project, according to a report in Pakistan Today on February 8.
According to the report, the questions about corruption were raised by Pakistan 's communication minister Murad Saeed.
In the statement the company sent to the Global Times on Wednesday, CSCEC claimed that it had been carrying out its business activities and all of the operations "fully in compliance with Pakistani laws and regulations."
"(The motorway project) immensely benefits Pakistani people and symbolizes China-Pakistan friendship. We are proud to participate in this project. The whole tendering and bidding process and award of the contract have been made in accordance with local laws and international practices," according to the statement.
The Chinese firm also said that the project is progressing smoothly and is expected to be handed over on schedule.
The 392-km Multan-Sukkur Motorway is the largest transportation infrastructure project under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) in Multan, Punjab province. Construction of the first section of the project began in May 2018.