On July 23, 2018, HE Ms Wu Xi, Chinese Ambassador to New Zealand, the Cook Islands and Niue, on behalf of the Chinese Government, signed the Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation within the Framework of the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative with the Premier of Niue Hon Sir Toke Talagi. Also present at the signing ceremony were Niue's Minster of Infrastructure Hon Pokotoa Sipeli and Minster of Natural Resources Hon Dalton Tagelagi.
Ambassador Wu noted that the 'Belt and Road Initiative' (BRI) initiated by President Xi Jinping is public goods that China has provided to the world. The BRI aims to offer a China Solution to global and regional economic issues. This Initiative focuses on connectivity in policy, infrastructure, trade, finance and people-to-people connectivity, providing a platform for countries around the world to achieve common development. The signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the BRI between China and Niue will promote the bilateral cooperation in various fields. At the same time, it marks a new chapter in China-Niue relations. China stands ready to work with Niue to bring more tangible benefits to the two peoples and make positive contributions to the prosperity and development of the region and beyond.
Premier Talagi noted that Niue and China have deep historical connection and some Niuean people are of Chinese descent. Niue attaches great importance to the BRI and is keen to work with China to fully implement the MoU that has just been signed, and further advance practical cooperation in all fields between the two countries to better benefit the two peoples, and further promote the sustainable development of the Pacific region.
- Ukraine plans major railway project under Belt and Road Ini... 2018-08-16
- Second phase of Russia-China Yamal LNG project completes fi... 2018-08-16
- Ethiopian president hails China's role in industrialization... 2018-08-15
- The Belt and Road Initiative reaps fruitful results in Xiam... 2018-08-15
- China and Africa to map poverty reduction into Belt and Roa... 2018-08-15
- Chinese auto firms accelerate expansion along Belt and Road 2018-08-15